Stellar Occasion Volunteer Form
If you'd like to volunteer for Stellar duty, here's what
- Read the outline below about the various departments.
- Fill out the registration form so we know who you are, and where you
want to work, etc. (The Department Head who is responsible for that
area will contact you and give you more info.)
- Make sure to let us know whether you want a Staff T-Shirt or not (It's
a different design than the regular shirt and it's sold AT COST only to
workers (usually around $10-slightly higher for largest sizes) and we only
make enough to cover the pre-orders. You pay for them at the con)
- You must work 12 hours some time during the con to get free admission
and crash space (in various shifts or all in one day, that's up to you).
Crash space means space to crash but does not necessarily mean a bed.
Warning, if you volunteer, the following conditions
- Failure to complete your full work hours will result in loss of free
badge privileges. (This means if you choose to sign up, pick up your badge
and then not work, we will yank your badge and you will have to pay to
re-enter the con.)
- There is no guarantee that you will be selected for a staff. We will
choose veteran workers first to fill staff positions, and only then will
consider new volunteers.
- We will try to let you know whether you were selected as soon as possible.
If you hear nothing, assume you were not selected, and make other arrangements.
The staff functions as a team. Each worker is vital to the function of
his/her department, and to the function of the entire con. There IS no such
attitude as "it's not my job, man." Our staff will find out what
the problem is and fix it. The real 'guests' are those people who pay their
hard-earned money to attend the con, and we want to treat them accordingly--
our first loyalty is to the fans we love. Working on staff should be fun
and exciting, not an elitist stress factory. We enjoy putting on a great
show year after year; otherwise we wouldn't bother!
Should you think volunteering is a quick way to sneak into the con free
without working, please don't bother to apply. If you can follow or believe
in our credo, come help us make Stellar Occasion the finest con in the country!
We welcome you!
- CON SUITE (Intergalactic House Of Spoo) - Hospitality
Room, where the fans are fed. All shifts & times are available. The
suite will stay open until the wee hours, but not 24 hours. You will help
fix food, make punch & sandwiches, cut up cheese, watch videos, and
basically help make the room a place where everybody will feel welcome.
- SPECIAL OPS (GROPOS) - Our name for gofers. A jack-of-all-trades
position, you may help move dealers into the dealers room, run an errand
to the local Radio Shack, sit at a dealer's table so he can use the restroom,
help with the costume contest, move a TV, and hang signs on the walls.
Car (or access to one) very helpful. The department runs mostly in the
daytime, except during set-up Thursday, tear-down Sunday, and during Masquerade
- GUEST RELATIONS - Duties include bringing guests to and from
the airport, checking water stations in the panel rooms, making sure panels
start on time, and make sure that the guests attend their functions. A
dependable car is required. Punctuality is extremely important. This department
run during the daytime hours mostly, and is intensive during the beginning
and end of the con. People skills are a must, as you will be in
constant contact with the guest and attendees.
- In addition, we are looking for people to be moderators during question
and answer sessions with the media guests. This would require someone with
the ability to "play-up" an audience; theatrical background is
- SECURITY - The people who guard the safety and well-being of
the con and hotel. There are stationary (badge checking) positions, and
roving positions. This department operates 24 hours in various shifts.
Diplomacy is important.
- REGISTRATION/INFO - Responsibilities include handling badges,
program books, t-shirts, and answering information about the convention.
This department operates during daytime hours into evening, in 4 hour
- BOARD GAMING - Game Masters & assistants are needed, as
well as registration personnel. This department runs 24 hours in various
- ART SHOW - Art show staff duties include construction of the
art show display furniture, checking in artists and agents, hanging mail-in
art, and tracking sales and inventory paperwork in the room, and at the
auction, etc. Art show security involves checking packages and bags at
the door, and occasional roving duty in the room, but art show security
is part of the Security department, rather than art show itself.
- VIDEO ROOM - Running of video equipment, making sure that the
schedule stays current.
- CHILDRENS' PROGRAMMING - Help keep an eye on the little ones
and assist with crafts, reading, painting and other activities. Being good
with children is required. This department has two four hour shifts per
If you would like to volunteer for Stellar Occasion, please fill out the